Shopping for a Yacht in the U.S.? Use our expertise at no extra cost to you.
Think you’ve found the right boat, or need help in locating one? Good buying opportunities may await you on either side of the border. Finalizing the deal can be complex.
With a wealth of experience in cross border sales, Bayview Yachts can help to ensure a professional, straightforward transaction. More importantly we can help avoid and appropriately deal with complications that may arise.
Having trouble with duties, taxes, shipping, delivery, licensing, deposits, or fund transfers? We can help save you time and money as we’re familiar in navigating through the Canada/US sales process and have access to resources to allow us to successfully complete the transaction.
- Paperwork – We’ll walk you through it all. From the Offer to Purchase through to the Bill of Sale; licensing and registration; documentation and titling, how to pay tax and other fees, as well as certificates of ownership and other documents needed to complete a sale. We understand maritime liens, listing agreements, deposit requirements, closing documents and we ensure that your deposit is safe until the sale is concluded.
- Is the issue significant – or not? During the buying and selling process issues arise – from Title and Documentation to Marine surveys – we can answer the questions. Is it a major critical issue or an obstacle that can be overcome? A boat purchase is a large investment and can also be an emotional one. We can take a step back and see clearly to determine what may or may not be truly significant.
- The Initial Inquiry – We know you get excited at the prospect of a new boat. In order to assist you we request that you immediately let the seller know you’re dealing with a broker on your first contact.
- We will listen closely to your wants and needs and will help you determine if the boat you are considering is the right boat for you at the best value. We can objectively tell you about the known condition of the vessel before you decide whether or not to spend your time to look at the vessel. Our brokers will help you determine if there are similar boats on (and off) the market, the history of the yacht, how long it has been on the market, and the motivation of the seller. Anyone can look up asking prices on boats, but we deal with listings on a daily basis and have an intimate knowledge of current market conditions, a familiarity of similar boats, and information on recent sale prices and time on the market through industry resources not available to the public.
- Making an Offer on a Pre-Owned Boat – We help you decide on a realistic offer that increases the chances of buying a pre-owned boat for a fair and reasonable price, and with the necessary elements to protect your interests. We prepare an Offer to Purchase for your signature that includes the terms of the sale including obligations that you and the seller have agreed to, and when these obligations will be fulfilled. You also make a good-faith deposit on the boat, usually subject to sea trial and survey.
- Sea Trial and Survey – Traditionally buyers pay for the surveys and for hauling the boat out of the water for inspection. We will put our knowledge to work and help you determine how to properly address the inevitable yacht survey issues and put the problems in context. We can help estimate time and cost of correcting, and where to obtain accurate quotes. Your insurance carrier will usually require a copy of the survey.
- Negotiating The Deal – As a broker, we use our position as a middleman to keep the negotiations between buyer and seller moving to a successful conclusion.
- After the Sale – We help you find moorage and yacht maintenance and repair specialists, facilities and insurance dealers. We can refer you to classes on sailing, boat handling and seamanship, Our experience in local waters can help you chart a course for great day, weekend or longer trips.
- Determining a fair asking price – To ensure a timely sale, it is essential to ask a fair price. We can help establish fair-market value for the boat through access to actual ‘sold boat’ data not available to the public.
- Advertising – We will outline a plan of how to advertise your boat in the most appropriate media. The primary vehicle is Yachtworld.com – available for public viewing and exclusive to brokers – similar to the REALTORs’® MLS® system. Additional online and print media may include Boats.com, UsedVictoria, UsedNanaimo, Pacific Yachting, Vancouver, Victoria and Nanaimo Boat shows, print advertising in two locations, and walk-in enquiries.
- Preparing the listing – We take photos, gather information from you, industry info, recent surveys, and will prepare the listing for distribution in various electronic and print media.
- Preparing the boat – We will advise of any improvements that should be made to compete within today’s market, identify possible problems and solutions, and help organize upgrades & repairs through our on-site Service Centre. We can also help locate easy-access moorage for the duration of the listing on one of our large sales docks.
- Sea Trial and Survey – The buyer will usually request a sea trial and the services of a marine surveyor. Buyers generally pay for the surveys and for hauling the boat out of the water for inspection. We will help you determine how any discovered deficiencies should be addressed in the purchase negotiations.
- Negotiations – We effectively use our position as a middleman to facilitate negotiations and finalize transaction